Monday, August 29, 2011


Currently, I am teaching the topic on time.

We are beginning to teach pupils how to draw timeline instead of writing 2.30 pm + 30 mins = 3 p.m. I have reminded my pupils why 2.30 pm + 30 mins = 3 p.m. because a specific time cannot be added to duration. Despite going through in detail in class, I was surprised that some of my pupils were still writing the number sentence 2.30 p.m. + 30 mins = 3 p.m. though they drew the number line as well.

Moreover, their number line were not very helpful. It is obvious that that they had worked out the answers mentally in their heads.

Why is my pupils still writing it incorrectly?

Primary Three Teacher

This could be due to some of them being given extra (incorrect) instruction at home. The fact that the incorrect number number sentence give them the correct answer does not help your cause either.

It is good you tell them it is wrong. But be prepared for some who will take a longer time to represent the ideas correctly. Continue with the time line representation.

I am glad you pointed out that a point in time (e.g. 2 p.m.) cannot be added to time duration (e.g. 2 hours). Some students are taught by adults who make this mistakes themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment