Thursday, April 9, 2009

Goggles Problem

This problem is from Fairfield Methodist Primary School, used in a seminar for their parents.

88 children took part in a swimming competition. 1/3 of the boys and 3/7 of the girls wore swimming goggles. Altogether 34 children wore swimming goggles. How many girls wore swimming goggles on that day?
I have read a word problem you wrote in the blog that asks for the number of girls who wore goggles. It is rather difficult for me. I am in Grade 3. However, I just tried to solve it and I found the answer is 21 girls wore goggles. Is it right? In solving it, I was helped by one of my cousins who is in Grade 7.
Jane, a third-grade student in Indonesia
Please go to http://math.nie.edu.sg/T3/downloads/2009%20Parents%20PSLE.pdf to view a powerpoint presentation of the model used. Your answer is correct! Keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment